Translate

Thursday 9 July 2015

What Golf Ball Should You Play?

I have played Titleist Pro V's for years. Not because I can afford them, although I suppose I can because I don't  tend to lose many golf balls any more. These days, I don't hit them far enough to lose them. I just wear them out.

Generally, the Pro V's I play are "previously enjoyed," or should I say, "badly behaved." They have been lost by other golfers who could afford them, but managed to lose them. My wife often walks the course with me and, thanks to her eagle eyes, keeps me well stocked. 

However, recently my wife handed me a Srixon Soft Feel ball. I also play Srixon Z Star balls because I've managed to get a good deal on them, and they are pretty darned good. I still don't think any ball beats a Pro V for use with the wedges and putting, but the Z Star is a good ball. I digress. Anyway, I decided to try this Srixon Soft Feel ball. Suddenly, my drives were fifteen to twenty yards longer, my irons flew fifteen yards farther, and higher! I felt younger, stronger, almost virile. I dare say, had I had the chance, I'd have even proven to be a better lover; although that probably wouldn't be saying much.

And the Soft Feel ball is soft. Anyway, I had a chit from Cleveland golf, so I used it to buy some brand new, never-enjoyed, undefiled Srixon Soft Feel balls. I plan to try them out and see how they work for a round or two. It's a risk, because I was flying it over greens and having to take less club when I used the one Kathryn found for me. But, if I can get my distances gauged, I really like the higher ball flight, and the ball feels so soft. I'm going to give them a try. 

If you are going slightly to seed, like me. If you find your swing speed has dropped, and you might fancy a few extra yards without giving up that nice soft feel of a good ball, perhaps the Srixon Soft Feel might be worth considering. I'm not invested in Cleveland Golf. I'm not getting paid to advertise. Hell, who'd pay to have me shill for them? I just think that maybe it's time for me not to be such a snob and admit that one of these low compression, two piece balls might help me more than it hurts me. If it does, I'll be able to afford to play new balls more often. 

There are other soft balls out there that I hear are good. I think the Wilson Staff Duo is reputed to be a good one. I guess my point is that, once the old swing speed has dropped below 105, perhaps using one of these soft two-piece balls is worth considering, particularly if you are not a guy, or gal who likes to play with a lot of spin around the greens.

People can be a bit snobbish about golf balls. Once, when we were on the first tee in some match, the guys showed their balls (golf balls), as we all do. It was three Titleist Pro V's. When it came to my turn I said. "Top Flite." That got me a quick double-take. As far as I'm concerned, you should use the ball you can afford and that feels good. It's the same with equipment. I may have to give up my blades and get cavity-backed, game-improvement irons. I'm probably not really good enough to play those Hogan blades, but I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment