Translate

Saturday 13 February 2016

Phil's Back

Pebble Beach is a magnificent place.  For five hundred bucks, I'll likely never play it, but do hope to see it some day.  They say there's a muni just down the road that is wonderful to play instead for cheapskates like me.

Watching the Pro Am is, for me at least, a bit of a trying experience.  I really can't imagine that many golfers who really appreciate watching celebreties slash and hack their way around a golf course, even if it is beautiful.  I have it taped and just watched Justin Timberlake take about two minutes to hit a putt from the fringe.  He consulted with his caddie and even performed a squatting plumb bob before leaving the putt eight feet short.  This I don't really need to see. To add insult to injury, I had to listen to Gary McCord provide the narrative.

On the other hand, Phil is looking really good, and it would be great to see him get another win at Pebble.  And, where they are playing golf without the celebrities, on the Champions tour Bernhard Langer looks to add another win to his credit.  And at the Petoria Country Club in South Africa, Charl Schwarzel looks good to win as well on a really tricky course that is giving the pros fits.

I really like Langer, and I think Schwarzel has one of the best swings in the game.  I will be happy to see both of them win if they can finish it off.  As for Bernhard, unless he breaks a leg, it would seem to be almost unthinkable that he'll squander his commanding lead.  He's solid as a rock, and, with that unanchored broomstick putter, he's been absolute magic on the greens this week.

When I turned on the re-airing of the Pebble Beach Pro Am for my old mother to watch, she was also wondering why we had to watch all these celebrities.  

I said, "I know it's painful, but at least you can watch Phil."

As I walked out, I heard her mumble, "Piss on Phil."

She's never been a big fan of Lefty, but she really likes Bernhard Langer.  Oh well, we all have our favourites.  I didn't bother to tell her that Phil, with five Majors, is probably one of the best twenty players ever to play the game.  Her mind's made up, so I won't try to confuse her with facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment