Translate

Tuesday 19 April 2016

Trillium Wood

I played with Spiros at Trillium Wood, near Belleville, Ontario, today.  We were paired up with Randy and Mark on this sunny, cool and breezy day.  The course was designed by Steve Ward, who designed our new nine at Picton as well as Timber Ridge, near Brighton. 

Trillium is a real gem of a course with a variety of interesting holes, both short and long.  Steve has a real knack of making a course interesting and challenging while making it playable for all level of golfers.  He is particularly adept at making short holes that look easy on the card, but present a real challenge to any player.  

Randy and Mark were great to play with, and Randy pitched and chipped like a demon all day using his trusty pitching wedge.  Time and again he laid the ball virtually stone dead from a variety of distances and lies.  Good chipping certainly covers a multitude of sins in this game.  It was there first time out this year and they both acquitted themselves very well.

As for Spiros and I; we played a match with Spiros getting four a side.  Spiros played a decent front nine, including a nice birdie at two, but found himself two down.  On the back he had a couple of disasters and lost four and three.  I hit the ball nicely but putted poorly, including a three- putt par on the ninth--nothing worse than a three-putt par.  I also three-putted for bogey on the last hole for 75.  Not bad for an old, fat guy.  

The big positive for me is that I've now played three rounds without tinkering with my swing.  I think this has to be a personal best.  If I can manage to keep swinging "my swing,"  and make a few putts, Old Man Par will soon have to watch out.  Spiros birdied his last hole as well and can't wait to get back out there.

If you haven't played Trillium Wood, make sure you keep it in mind when you're in this neck of the woods.  You won't be disappointed.  Friendly staff and Rickard's red on tap.




No comments:

Post a Comment