Translate

Tuesday 13 December 2016

If It Ain't Broke

I went out and played yesterday at Watchesaw Plantation East near Myrtle Beach. I really like the course. At 6300 yards from the white tees, it's no picnic. Sixty-three hundred yards in Myrtle Beach plays every inch of that 6300.

We had a good rain overnight so it was cartpath only--definitely not my favourite way to play the game. The starter put me out on my own, ahead of the two or three groups that had assembled, some of whom who were unsure whether they wanted to play or not given how wet it was. I never saw a soul, other than one fellow who had got caught in a downpour on number four and had driven back in, only to find the sun shining. He headed back to four and I teed off. 

It was a bit of a practice round as I was testing out a new old driver--a Titleist 983E with a stiff Speeder shaft.  i also was using an old faithful sand wedge; a forged Mizuno that I had purchased new about eight years ago and stopped using in favour of a couple of Callaway forged wedges and then some Cleveland wedges. Because I was just fooling around, I hit two balls on most of the holes.

The driver worked reasonably well, but certainly didn't have me hitting it very far. But then, lately, no driver seems to help me hit it very far. That's just the way it is now. If I want to score, it has to be because of my short game. 

The good news was that I holed three wedges, the longest from about forty-five yards from a bare, muddy lie to an elevated green. The others were from at least thirty yards. My chipping from around the green was also pretty decent. I think, after this experience, I'm going back to using just the 56 degree Mizuno around the greens. It has given me more hole-outs than any other wedge I've ever used. Why I ever put it in the garage I'll never know. It may be a bit worn, but it's as trusty as it is rusty.

The bad news is I missed more than three putts from inside four feet. I guess I should have brought my old, faithful Bullseye. It has produced my best putting over the years. It should never leave my bag. After all, it isn't the putter, it's the guy putting that really counts. But if you have a putter that has produced some good results, why leave it? If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment