Translate

Friday 8 September 2017

The Only Lesson

The only actual formal lesson I ever had was as a kid in England back around 1970. The young pro had me hit balls with just my left hand. That was it. At the time, I thought he was nuts. I only wish I'd understood just what a valuable lesson he was giving me at the time. But for many years I just chalked it up to time wasted.

Looking back on it, this young pro was probably a follower of Henry Cotton for whom training the left hand to strike the ball was a key teaching. I am still amazed at how much easier it is for a right-handed golfer to play with a swing controlled by the left arm. It's a shame so few people teach it nowadays. 

Below is a video of John Daly hitting a variety of shortgame shots with his left hand. He's definitely a top hand golfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment